7 Fun Facts About the Chevy Camaro
The Chevy Camaro is a well-known vehicle. Everyone has heard the name of this vehicle, but how much do you actually know about it? Check out nine fun facts about the Chevy Camaro below.
- First Introduced on June 28th, 1966 – The Ford Mustang was released in 1964, so Chevy developed the Camaro to compete with this vehicle. The Camaro was announced at the end of June, and Chevy began production in August. In September 1966, the first Camaros were available for the public.
- It was Initially Called the Panther – There were a lot of different name options for this vehicle before it was finally established as the Camaro. The Panther was one of these names, but it was really just a codename before the name Camaro was announced.
- The First Camaro was $2,572 – You could get a Chevy Camaro for $2,572 in 1967, and a gallon of gasoline was 33 cents.
- It Had Seven Engine Options Originally – You could choose from seven engine options on the original Camaro. These options included six-cylinder engines, small block engines, and big block engines. They ranged from 155-horsepower to 375-horsepower.
- 1979 was the Camaro’s Best-Selling Year – Hotcars tells us, “1979 was the car's best-selling year ever. Buyers, desperate for performance cars during a period when mileage was king, purchased 282,571 Camaros in the twilight of the '70s. Nearly 85,000 of those were the Z/28 version.”
- The Camaro was Featured in the International Race of Champions – The International Race of Champions was a racing competition in North America. This competition used all the same vehicles so that it showed which driver was the best. The Chevy Camaro was used in this competition from 1975 to 1989.
- It’s a Very Popular Collector’s Car – According to Carbuzz, “The Corvette is the most popular collector's car, the Camaro is the third most popular and that makes the Mustang second, and the meat in a Chevy sandwich.”
Would you consider yourself a Chevy Camaro enthusiast? Now that you know these facts, you could be. The Chevy Camaro is an impressive vehicle. If you would like to check out the Chevy Camaro for yourself, come to a Chevy dealer like Ray Chevrolet.