5 Tips to Keep Your Tires in Shape for a Holiday Road Trip
The holiday season is coming up fast, and you will probably be doing some traveling to see family and friends. The Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays are great, but they can also involve some unpleasant weather conditions. Snow, ice, and wind can make for tough driving, so you will want to be sure your vehicle is prepared for those conditions. Check out our tips for keeping your tires in shape for your holiday road trip.
- Check Tire Pressure – Checking your tire pressure is easy, but many of us probably forget to do it on a regular basis. Before you head out on your holiday road trip, be sure to check your tire pressure to make sure it is where it needs to be.
- Check Tire Treads – Extremely worn tires can be dangerous in the best conditions, but they are especially dangerous in the snow and ice. You will want to check your tire tread depth. If it is 4/32 of an inch or lower, you will want to get your tires replaced right away.
- Replace Old Tires – As stated above, if your tire treads are less than 4/32 of an inch, you will need to get them replaced. Tires at 2/32 of an inch have reached the lowest legal limit, so it is a good idea to replace them before they get to this point.
- Get Your Tires Rotated – Is tire rotation important or is it just something people tell you to do? Tire rotation helps your tires wear evenly so that they last longer for you. It is an important part way to give your tires a longer life. You should rotate your tires about every 7,000 miles, so if you haven’t done it recently, you should put it on your list.
- Consider Winter Tires – If you are in a place that has a lot of icy and wintry conditions, you may want to consider winter tires. This type of tire is designed to give you more traction in snowy and icy conditions, so it may be worth the investment for you.
Do your tires need some attention before your holiday road trip? At Ray Chevrolet, we can help. Ray Chevrolet is a Chevy dealership near you. We offer you a great vehicle selection, and also, a great service department. If you need help with your tires or any other maintenance, you can reach out to us today. Come down to Ray Chevrolet today if you are looking to upgrade your vehicle; we can help you find the vehicle of your dreams.